Monday 24 August 2015

SUMMER HEALTH KICK

For months on end our heads are bombarded with messages from the media about how we should eat more healthily, try the newest fad diet and become 'beach body ready'- this usually starts just after Christmas, however shouldn't we be thinking more long term? Rather than starving yourself for months and stuffing yourself with dull salads on the weeks leading up to your summer holiday (I believe it is more a form of punishment) why not change your diet and the way you feel about food in the long term?
 
So I had my summer holiday back in May- I did no preparation for it whatsoever- however I was blessed with a bug the weekend before so I ended up shedding 8lbs... in no way am I saying this is a good idea! What I'm trying to say is why bother? It's now the end of August and I bet you're wondering why I'm suddenly doing a health kick post- the reason is that I am planning a slower change in what I eat, and I most certainly wont be cutting sweets, chocolate and takeaways out of my diet!
 
Here are some ideas of how you can make tiny changes to your meals that will lower the calorie count, increase the vitamins and minerals you intake, give you more energy, and lead to a healthier lifestyle. You will notice I have included eating out in this post- I tend to find it so hard to keep on your diet if you're eating out but it doesn't have to be!
 
Chickpea, spinach and tomato curry with halloumi cheese
Why not replace meat in your curry with chick pea's- it may sound gross (my boyfriend thinks so) but these will also be filling and are a healthier alternative. Similarly spinach isn't just good for your muscles... ;) it is crammed full of vitamins, similarly the halloumi cheese adds a little extra to the curry. Team this with Boiled wholegrain rice and add some spices.
 
BILL'S- Crunchy kale leaf salad
Am I the only one who finds it hard to eat healthy when I am out for a meal....? too much temptation! I will admit, I was sceptical when I chose a kale salad... salads are always so dull and boring! However the flavours in this one are amazing- Kale is very popular at the moment for being good for dieting and for jam packing your meal with extra goodness. The salad also contains avocado, almond nuts, vinaigrette dressing, onions, pepper and roasted aubergine and courgette.
 
Vegetable cous cous, Roasted vegetable and mushroom
I have been off cous cous for a very long time- like since I was 7 ever since I was ill after eating cous cous one time. However now I have discovered a variety of flavours, I used vegetable, teamed with roasted courgette, carrots, onions,  big mushrooms and fennel.
 
Definitely give something like this a try- even if it means just swapping one meal a week. Diets aren't all fast days, no carbs and no treats!
 
Any food recommendations? Let me know! :)
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Whenever the "health junkie" in me sparks, I always love to make roasted vegetables or brown rice. If I feel like snacking, my go-to comfort food is hummus with carrots/cucumbers! x

    bohorush.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, not only does this food sound super healthy but it looks amazing as well! I completely agree with you about focusing more on the long-term diet
    Megan x meguana.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm it all looks so lovely! I'm eating the best I ever have and I'm not going to stop once summer is over! I have cut out sugar in my drinks, I don't eat chocolate anymore and I stock up on veggies and cucumber water!

    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments, I will reply as soon as possible! ♥